For anyone who is focusing on their exercise and healthy eating goals there is nothing more difficult than breaking your routine, maybe with a holiday or weekend away. As much as you want to enjoy your break, time away from your normal reality can be very difficult for your mind and body to handle, a sudden change and it can often leave you feeling worse for wear.
I recently had a short 5-day trip away to help some friends of mine move into their new home and since returning I’ve been feeling quite flu-ish, bloated and weak. What I put this down to is the change in my routine for those days that I was away. I exercised less than usual, I ate less vegetables than usual and I ate more carbs than I usually would.
Hopefully I will be feeling better soon and back on track with my health goals but I thought I’d share my newly realised tips for breaking routine without the side effects.
- Do your best to exercise every day. Even if it’s only a 30 minute walk.
- Continue to load up on veggies
- Try to keep eating your meals and snacks at roughly the same time as you usually would
- Stay hydrated! If you feel weak try adding a little salt to your water this I’ve learnt will spike your blood pressure
- Keep happy and enjoy your time off!
Keep these tips in mind next time you break routine and I hope you will stay on top of your game!
This photo I took on one of my morning walks whilst I was away, it’s of Wallarah Creek, Blue Haven, NSW.